If you have installed the latest feature update for Windows 10, the April 2018 Update, already on a PC, you may have run into one or multiple issues already using the new version of Windows 10.
While the bulk of users probably won’t, activity on forums and support sites indicate that at least part of the early adopter userbase ran into issues.
I ran the update yesterday evening on a machine and encountered several issues so far on the PC. My issues are for the most part different from issues that users reported on Reddit, Microsoft’s Answer forum and other places.
Feel free to share your experience in the comment section below. I divided the issues into major and other. Major affect lots (or even all) users.
- Google Chrome may hang the entire device. Microsoft is working on a patch, apparently.
- Microphone not detected anymore? Sound settings or features not working? Check Settings > Privacy Microphone and test if “Let apps use my microphone” resolves the issue.
- No microcode update to protect the system against Spectre attacks. Microsoft released updates only for Windows 10 version 1709 and earlier and has not incorporated the updates into Windows 10 version 1803. If you installed the update on the PC in an earlier version and ran the update afterward, you will notice that the PC is no longer protected.
- Check Telemetry data collecting settings under Privacy > Diagnostics & feedback to make sure that they have not been reset.
- Microsoft Edge won’t start. A reset does not help.
- Mouse acceleration and movement seem different to before. Also, reports of mouse lag.
- Network devices may not be picked up anymore. A reinstall may help.
- Right-clicks on programs in the Taskbar don’t display the context menu.
- Shutdown does not work properly, neither when executed from the Start Menu or from the command line. Restart works and should be used instead for the time being.
- Slow Alt-Tab performance when tabbing out of games. Fix: disable Focus Assist in the options under System > Focus Assist.
- Some users report that a new partition is created after upgrading that they can’t interact with. I did not experience this, but you may want to run Disk Management to remove it or hide it. If that does not work for whatever reason, use a program like TestDisk to remove it during boot.
- Speaker enhancements may be reset after the upgrade (speaker properties)
- The regular Start Menu does not open at all on a system with Start10 installed. Not sure if this is caused by Start10 or something else. (my issue)
- Thumbnails no longer generated for (most) MKV files.
- Users report that they can’t change the “feedback frequency” setting under Privacy > Diagnostics & feedback anymore. On my system, it states “Windows Insider Program manages this option” even though the PC never joined the program.
- Windows Defender Security Center won’t open. Terminates after you try to launch it.
Now You have to report any problems faced by you in your PC in the comment section below or report to Microsoft answer forum or on other platforms like reddit.